Clara de Asís is a Spanish composer and guitarist based in France. She develops an approach to sound that highlights simplicity, non-intervention and active listening as means of music making. Her works display an extreme precision and intuitive openness ; both distinctive of Clara de Asís manner, that involves a dedicated attention to sound on its details and its most pure forms.
De Asís’s intuitive, unconventional style of compositions utilizes a minimal, spatial framework in which performers can create individual sounds with personal instrumentation incorporating active listening, to attain a paradoxical but coherent result that “setting a frame could bring out a lot of unexpected possibilities and revelations that come from the sound itself.”
Her music has been showcased in many international scenes including Berlin, Paris, Prague, New York, Huddersfield and Helsinki.
Besides actively releasing collaboration albums in recent years, notably ‘Without’ (elsewhere, 2018) with Greg Stuart and Erik Carlson, her 2018 solo album ‘Do Nothing” (Another Timbre), on which she played guitar and percussion on a set of her six compositions, was extremely well received.
Her music has been released by PiedNu (Uno todo tres, 2016, France), INSUB (Appalachian Anatolia / d’Incise, Switzerland, 2016), Marginal Frequency (L’Inertie, with Bruno Duplant, USA, 2017), Another Timbre (Do nothing, UK, 2018) and elsewhere (Without, with Greg Stuart & Erik Carlson, USA, 2018).
Some of her collaborations include Bruno Duplant, Noël Akchoté, d’incise, Rebecca Lane, Lauri Hyvärinen, Greg Stuart, Erik Carlson.
• Tapage Nocturne invites Clara de Asís. Concert and interview (FR) with Bruno Letort, Feb. 2019, Paris. Listen.
• Interview au Gmea, Centre National de Création Musicale (Albi, FR), with Gérôme Blanchard and Didier Aschour, 11/14/2018. Live performance within the ‘In a Landscape’ series. Listen.
• À l’improviste au Festival Nuit d’Hiver, France Musique, Clara de Asís & Noël Akchoté, 19/12/2016. Interview (FR) with Anne Montaron & live. Listen.
• Carte Blanche (monograph) Clara de Asís, Radio Grenouille, 11/09/2016. Interview (FR) with Marianne Crousillac & works. Listen.
• Écouter, aimer, disparaître, interview with Didier Aschour, Revue&Corrigée 121, Sept. 2019. (FR)
• Interview with Yuko Zama about Without (elsewhere, 2018), Nov. 2018.
• Interview with Ismael G. Cabral for Atelier de músicas, El Correo de Andalucía, June 2018. (ES)
• Interview with Simon Reynell for Another Timbre, Jan. 2018.
• Video-interview for Musicaelettronica.it, Firenze (ITA), Feb. 2017.
• Without, reviews
• Do Nothing, reviews
• Just Outside: Brief write-ups on six newish releases from Alan Jones’ Marginal Frequency label, by Brian Olewnick, Nov 2017
• November Concert Diary, about hcmf// 40th edition, Composition Today, Nov 2017
• L’Inertie (De Asís / Duplant) review on Fluid Radio by Nathan Tomas
• Uno todo tres reviews
• Interview with Miguel Copon
• Yuri Landman, some words about Clara de Asís [ES]
• Appalachian Anatolia (14th century) review, Сигма [Syg.ma], by Илья Белоруков [Ilia Belorukov], 2 Nov 2016 [RU]
• Boring Like A Drill, “More from the guitar: Sarah Hennies, d’incise, Cristián Alvear, Clara de Asís” by Ben Harper, 14 Dec 2016
• Martin Klimeš, article about concerts in Czech Republic [CZ]
• Some words about Le Mont Analogue, revue Mouvement [FR]
• A press article about Sons de Plateaux#9 festival, journal Ventilo [FR]
• Clara de Asís and Laura Vazquez portrait-interview with Joanna Selvidès, Ventilo [FR]
• Announcement of a concert at the Fine Arts Museum of Nantes, Haut Parleur magazine [FR]
• NUNUNU review on Avant Music News
• NUNUNU review on The Modern Folk
• Memoryscapes review on Lo demás es ruido [ES]